We recently had the opportunity to shoot with AmaWaterways, onboard their beautiful ship the ‘AmaSonata’. The trip was a 14 day journey across 5 countries in Europe: the Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Slovakia and Hungary. To traverse this massive distance we cruised along 3 major rivers: the Rhine, the Main + Main-Danube Canal, and the Danube River. It was an epic odyssey of a trip aptly named ‘Magnificent Europe’ on AmaWaterway’s website.
Our team consisted of: Ralph Grizzle, ‘The Avid Cruiser’, one of the the largest cruise ship bloggers in the world, Jonas Stockfleth of The Filmyard, a Virtual Reality specialist from England, Tristan Freville of Drone Alsace, a French drone expert, and myself, Chris Stanley, handling the main brunt of the video production.
Our task was to capture this once in a lifetime experience using written blog posts, aerial drone work, VR, and compelling video.
Luckily for us, AmaWaterways has created a phenomenal product and itinerary that made shooting the video a breeze.
- One of the most memorable moments of our trip included shooting aerials of the ship cruising through the Rhine Gorge in Germany. This a 65km stretch of river that boasts 40 big medieval fortress/castles. It was absolutely stunning with castle after castle lining the vineyard covered hills. You could basically point the camera in any direction and get a beautiful shot.
- Always something to look at:we’ve shot a lot of ocean cruises over the years, but river cruising offers something different… namely, there’s always something to look at. While open ocean can be therapeutic and relaxing, it’s fun to be able to look over the side of the ship and see the ever-changing countryside as it gently passes you by. It made getting shots very easy throughout the journey.
- Exploring the almost ‘Disney-esque’ fairytale villages throughout Germany.
- Shooting video of a tasting in the oldest wine cellar in all of Germany.
- Sunny gondola rides atop crisscrossing vineyards.
- Passing through the numerous (and humongous) lock systems along the rivers.
Churches, churches, churches (1st image below: top of the Cologne Cathedral. 2nd: inside Weltenburg Abbey).
- The grand finale: An illumination cruise through Budapest. Below is the parliament building at night. Pure magic.
The trip was unforgettable and made all the easier by the hospitable and wonderful support AmaWaterways provided our team. They run a tight operation, AmaSonata was in sterling condition, and the destinations were provocative and photogenic.
Check out the video we produced below.
- Chris Stanley – Tourism Video Content Creation Specialist